Breeding Soundness Exam
Before breeding your bitch or stud it is important to get a pre-breeding exam. A breeding soundness examination is performed by Dr. Sam approximately once a year. The staff at All Pets will collect a thorough history and examine your pet to ensure he/she is healthy and ready to be bred. All dogs that are new to a breeding program are required to have a breeding soundness exam (BSE). BSE’s are important for many reasons. For a new breeding dog, it can ensure there is no presence of disease, infertility and can also establish a baseline for breeding throughout your dog’s life. Knowing this information can greatly improve breeding decisions about your dog’s reproductive potential. After the conclusion of the exam, there are many other tests offered such as Brucellosis, LH testing, progesterone timing, genetic testing, thyroid,CBC blood work, and semen evaluation. These tests ensure we know as much as we can about your specific bitch/stud so that we can help develop a breeding plan that is just right for you and your pet.
What to expect during a BSE(bitch):
In order to most effectively examine your bitch, a thorough history must be collected. This information should include: Diet, Vaccination History, medications/supplements, past breeding history and outcomes, previous cycle information, relevant family history, parasite control, pre-breeding testing results ( OFA, genetic testing, brucellosis, etc.)
- Vaginal Exam
- Regular organ system exam (important for supporting pregnancy)
- respiratory function
What to expect during a BSE(stud):
Diet, vaccination history, medications/supplements, environment, past breedings, pastsemen evaluations, medical history, brucellosis testing results, parasite control etc.
- prostatic examination (to ensure there are no lesions or abnormalitiesthat would indicate possible infertility)
- palpation of scrotum, testes and epididymides
- Regular organ system examination: respiratory, cardiovascular andmusculoskeletal
Based on the examination, further testing is available: (may not be included in BSEpricing)
- Thyroid Testing (in house)
- Brucellosis Testing (in house)
- Progesterone Testing (in house)
- Vaginal cytology and vaginoscopy for in heat females
- Screening for hereditary defects
- Blood Chemistry Testing (CBC)
- LH testing
- Semen collection and evaluation
Please call ahead at (908) 707-1555 and make an appointment for your next breeding soundness exam as they require time and we would like to ensure your stud/bitch is given the best care possible and answer any questions you may have.